Thursday, September 11, 2008

An All Around Experience: Fashion Marketing

Growing up I was never one to know exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I had so many interests and limiting myself to one field was overwhelming. I wanted to be an x-ray tech, a flight attendant, graphic designer, model, actress; you name it I probably wanted to be it. Near the end of high school all I could remember was the gripping knot in my stomach because I knew that I needed to make a big decision that would affect my future. One thing I always knew about myself is that I’m creative, hard-working, and love the inspirations of life.
Like most women, I love clothes, shoes, and accessories. Most importantly, I love to be creative and use color and design to come up with new ideas. Fashion Marketing it is. Marketing is so broad and I had no interest really to be a fashion designer. I want to work on the other side of the fashion industry, the business side. Fashion Marketing is a more specialized field and I can still use creativity in the process.
Throughout the last couple years, I have had good experiences and bad experiences. I started out going to The Art Institute of Phoenix in Arizona, which was an eye opener. Aside from the culture shock, I got a little taste of how people can be in the industry. One thing I learned is that the fashion industry is fast paced and cut throat. Either you’re hot or you’re not. As a student you find out that even your fellow classmates thirst for drama and will do anything to get to the top. Everything was about status in Phoenix and I felt that when it came to my work I was not learning enough or being challenged to put forth my best effort.
Moving to Charlotte to attend the Art Institute of Charlotte has definitely been a more positive experience. It’s good to be independent and have the drive to be the best but, it’s also good to work as a team, and that is evident in my current internship and been helpful. You will always work with people and it’s best to learn how to work with them than against them. I have learned a lot more in the last 2 quarters at the Art Institute of Charlotte than I did for almost 2 years at AI Phoenix. The major difference between the two schools is the devotion of the instructors. The support and help from my instructors has made me feel that I have found my niche in what I really like to do. Their help and enjoyable projects have created several good experiences and increased my knowledge of the industry.
Some of the best experiences is working hard and seeing the result of your hard work. Success is quite satisfying and at this moment I feel I can do anything and go forward in my life taking it one step at a time. My life just keeps on rolling and I’m ready for it.

No comments: